“ What is the most challenging question that you personally faced and how did you respond? ”

Lorna K. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - South
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

04/02/2014
21 Live chat
Greetings, my name is Lorna Kamau, thank you for organising this live chat. I am interested in the first interview, what is the most challenging question that you personally faced and how did you respond?
04/02/2014
Analyst, Deloitte Consulting, Security Advisory Services

Hi Lorna, do you know what service line you are applying to?

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Any initial tips on how to prepare for the interview stage of the application process would be appreciated - the first interview and the partner interview, to maximise the time ahead of the interview to prepare effectively.

Thanks for your response Luke, I am due for an interview for Technology Risk under Risk Consulting.

04/02/2014

Ok, so I would say this interview really tests yout skills. You will be asked for two examples of the individual competencies in Risk consulting - I believe they are on the website right?

I think using the S T A R method is the best way to help you remember examples, and I would really make sure you know these fluidly so you can talk about them well in the interview

04/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

That is right - on the following page:

mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/university/a… 

04/02/2014

As we have competency based interviews - the challenge will not be in knowing what we will be asking (only so many ways you ask someone about achieving a goal). The challenge is you coming up with good examples of each competency that really shows not just what you achieved but HOW you did it - the how is really important!

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thanks Luke and James, I have looked at the 8 competencies so I can be expected to be tested on each and every one? That's a very good point James, that is why I want to prepare well...what would you say goes into an excellent answer?

04/02/2014

Hmm we do split some of the competency areas between first and final (for example, commercial awareness is more tested at final for example) - but prepare for them all is a good policy.

Excellent answer = Structure (have you heard of STAR - it 100% works!), picking an example that demonstrates lots of good behaviours (the HOW part) and practise.. as interviews are hard work!

04/02/2014

I think that a good answer refers to the competency, how you have used that skill in a previous example and how you felt you worked (analysing yourself in that situation critically). I think preparing for commercial awareness is a good idea, because it can be expected that you are not an expert in the service line, but it helps to know current issues facing that area of work, because it shows you have an interest in it, and a want to work within the industry.

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thanks a lot for the advice! Its definitely beneficial. On a practical side, will I be required to come with my CV or any documents? What are some of the tough/unexpected questions in the interview that you have faced?

04/02/2014

I would come with your CV anyway, even though it is not mandatory. I displayed technical knowledge, despite being from a non-technical background, and my interviewer asked more questions until the point where I did not know the answer. So I was honest, and I believe that was a push to see a) how technically minded I was and b) how I responded to questions. But I think that other people might have found that not so tough or unexpected and handled it better so, from that I would say regardless of how difficult a question is think about the answer and keep your integrity.

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Great insight!! I am not at all from a technology background, so I hardly know where to begin tech-wise... its definitely a line of consulting I am interested in but completely out of my comfort zone, where would you advice I begin building my 'basic' tech knowledge? Also would I be expected to provide any general knowledge of audit or accounting or would most questions be linked to the service line?

04/02/2014

I'm not either, coming from Politics & Economics, now working in Information Security - but you will be trained extensively. You should be reading tech magazines though, getting yourself up to speed with current issues facing the industry.

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thanks a lot for your time Luke and James, would you be able to let me know some of the systems that Deloitte consultants use?

04/02/2014

Systems - do you mean software? Hmm this very much depends on the team you are in! They don't let me near many systems!

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Oh yes software, I have applied for Technology Risk and as such would like to build my knowledge about that service line...

Another question, when invited in the partner interview, are you given the topic to make a presentation on? Is the presentation a PowerPoint one where they provide a projector, or is it more of a memo and then you speak?

04/02/2014

I don't know what software will be used specifically, but you will most likely be working with lots of varied programs for respective roles you take on in projects. I don't think learning that kind of information is as necessary, because it will most likely be assumed that everyone is on the same level of knowledge and can be trained. I would focus most of your subject learning around industry issues.

RE partner interview: It varies from person to person. I created a ppt. and printed it off onto one sheet of paper, and gave it to the partner while I presented my presentation. Whatever works for you is better though. There is no access to electronic media.

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thanks Luke, what about the topic? Will it be assigned when they call you for interview?

04/02/2014

Yes it will be given to you when more information is given about the day.

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thank you Luke, for your generous time and consideration... its been extremely helpful. On a closing note, what are some of the best and worst highlights about working in Deloitte if you don't mind me asking?

04/02/2014

Highlight - winning a ballot to take part in Ride Across Britain! Charity bike run. I have just bought my bike! We invite clients onto the challenge as well!

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Oh wow! Just after James Ketchell's inspiring story! :) (interesting coincidence that you both share the same name) All the best James!!! Thank you James and Luke (and all the insiders)! This opportunity has truly been appreciated.

Add to this thread

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website