“ How determining is your choice of service line? ”

Manuel M. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - South
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

04/02/2014
21 Live chat
How determining is your choice of service line? Is there an opportunity to switch service line once you start working for Deloitte?
04/02/2014
Corporate Tax Associate, Deloitte UK

Hi Manuel, thanks for joining us! Firstly I would say that there are a number of things which can affect your choice of service line in the first place, i.e. office location, types of clients you would get at that office, service lines which operate there (I'm in Bristol and we don't have consulting here) etc. Do you have a particular service line in mind at the moment?

Having said that, your choice of service line is definitely not a binding one long-term and there is opportunity to change - people in my office who have reached their third year at Deloitte have switched over and moved offices/service lines.

04/02/2014
Manuel M.

I hesitate between Tax and Audit which both seem to require a very analytical mindset to me. I'm looking to apply for the London office

04/02/2014

OK - that's good because I work in corporate tax!

04/02/2014
Manuel M.

Excellent :-) Any views on the differences of one vs. the other would help!

04/02/2014

I did a bit of audit during an internship too. I would say one of the main things between those two, aside from that the work is quite different in both departments, is whether you'd prefer working in the office most of the time or spending time on client site? for example in Corporate Tax (my department of tax) most of it is office-based whereas in audit you are out on client sites a lot of the time

04/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

I would add that by the time you get to interview you need to feel comfortable with the Service line and be willing to commit to that for your training period. In terms of helping to choose between service lines.. if you are at Uni try to come to our events to meet people from different departments. Depending on where you are we also run Deloitte Discovery events which are a great insight to the firm.

04/02/2014
Manuel M.

Probably client site as I assume you get to learn quite a lot working with different clients, is that right?

04/02/2014

James that's a good point as well - it's important to be happy with the one you'd potentially be working in and that will hopefully shine through at interviews! Yes that's how I understand it! Having said that, I've been on a few client meetings during my time in tax (started in September) and you do spend time on a lot of different clients, so there is still plenty of opportunity for contact time in my department.

04/02/2014
Manuel M.

Thanks, that helps a lot. So would you spend more time at the client site when working in Audit?

04/02/2014

I think that you definitely get a lot of exposure to different businesses in audit. Having said that, I've been on a few client meetings during my time in tax (started in September) and you do spend time on a lot of different clients, so there is still plenty of opportunity for contact time in my department

04/02/2014
Manuel M.

So what would you say are the other big differences between Tax and Audit?

04/02/2014

Certainly the type of work - are you aware by the way of the different departments within tax?

For example I'm in corporate tax where we deal with tax compliance and advisory for companies, there's also VAT as another tax department, and global employer solutions which deals with personal tax for employees of our clients

04/02/2014

Yes, also think about qualifications as well as different tax teams offer different ones

04/02/2014
Manuel M.

Thanks Nick and James -appreciate you taking the time. I'll have a look in more depth at all of this!

04/02/2014

As far as corporate tax vs audit goes (VAT and GES are quite different from corporate tax), we tend to use the numbers clients give us and often that auditors have checked to a) advise them on potential courses of action from a tax perspective or b) compliance stuff like submitting tax returns to HMRC. Audit tends to be more of a compliance/assurance work where you spend time on client sites auditing those numbers before they're made available to the public - it's probably more involved at that level whereas in tax we will look that what they have done afterwards and use it.

No problems Manuel - on the point of qualifications, as far as I know GES/VAT do ATT and CTA (tax specific qualifications) while in corporate tax (as of this year) we are mixing both ACA (the accountancy qual which we've always done) and CTA. Audit do ACA, so I'm in college with the auditors a lot.

Good luck with the application in any case.

04/02/2014
Manuel M.

Many thanks for all your help!!

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

I would like to ask, since the discussion was about changing service lines, how about changing locations not just to regional offices but global ones e.g. from UK to South Africa or Singapore?

04/02/2014

I would say that when you apply you need to commit to your training contract. Once you have qualified you will find you will be able to apply to international opportunities much more easily!

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thanks James, of course, most definitely! I was just wondering about progression opportunites (or short term placements) within Deloitte as its a firm I would be looking to grow with...! Much appreciated

04/02/2014

Yes, there will certainly be the opportunity to progress/go on secondment. In some offices, when you approach qualification, they hold team meetings/presentation to talk you through the opportunities open to you.

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Brilliant, thanks James!

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website