“ In an interview, how should I address the fact that I'm flexible with office location? ”

Zhe Z. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - South
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

04/02/2014
11 Live chat
Hi! I want to apply to an office outside London where living expense is lower. Actually I'm quite flexible with locations. But if I'm asked "why do you want to apply for XYZ office" in an interview, can I say I'm flexible? I think I'm supposed to say I'm definitely want this particular office. How should I answer this question?
04/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

Good question. I think being flexible is Great - it opens up lots of opportunities. However, by the time you get to Interview you need to get beyond, Yes I could work there.. and say why you want to work in a location. So you will need to show you have thought about the location, regional economy, how it works with family and friends etc!

04/02/2014
Zhe Z.

Thanks James! I tried to find some clients of that office so show that I'm interested in the regional economy, but I can't find any. Do you think it's necessary to know the big clients of that office? how to show that I have considered the regional economy? I can only think of talking about the lifestyle of that city

04/02/2014

No, the offices can be sensitive about sharing that! For the Reading office you would look on WIKI and see which business are based here, for example, Microsoft, BG Group, Oracle etc. Just to demonstrate you commitment to the region/office! We just want to make sure you have really considered your application and not just gone with what is available!

04/02/2014
Zhe Z.

Yes, but if they are not the clients of reading office, would it be embarrassing to mention them?

04/02/2014
Tax Associate, Deloitte

It shouldn't be, in fact if anything, it shows you did your research, as they are likely to be aware of these entities being in reading, even if they are not their clients. Think about other aspects too, such as socials in reading, commuting, low cost of living, proximity to London etc

04/02/2014
Zhe Z.

Thank you! When talking about the long-term career goal, is it OK to say I want to be a CFO or start my own business, not staying in the firm forever? will that be an offense?

04/02/2014
Tax Associate, Deloitte

There are no right or wrong answers Zhe, as long as that is what you truly believe in, but it helps if its not too generic

04/02/2014
Steven B.

Far from it Zhe. Talking about your aspirations, especially anything which shows an innovative or entrepreneurial aspect is highly regarded. We don't expect people to stay here forever - just to give of their best while they do (which is a promise the firm makes to you in return).

04/02/2014

Yes, agreed. But just make sure you balance that with showing a real passion for training with Deloitte short/medium term. The firm loves entrepreneurs!

04/02/2014
Associate, Deloitte

My advice would be to show you've given thought to what you wish to achieve with your career, and in particular why Deloitte will help you to achieve those aims.

04/02/2014
Zhe Z.

Thanks everyone! you help me understand the firm better. it's more open and welcome than I thought. great!

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website