“ Can you recommend any sort of research to increase commercial awareness? ”

Allison S. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - South
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

04/02/2014
6 Live chat
Hi, I'm a Biochemistry student interested in consultancy and I was wondering whether you'd recommend any sort of research to increase commercial awareness? Would you recommend just reading FT or is there some reading that could give me some basal knowledge of the field?
04/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

Hi Allison,

We do not look for FT Readers as a matter of course... but a good awareness of business is recommended! Have you heard of Ian Stewart?

04/02/2014
Steven B.

Hi Allison,
There are people on this chat better placed then I to answer this for you, but I'd certainly recommend reading the FT regularly for an overall picture. We also share lots of content on and around the business world, including from our Chief Economist's Monday Briefing which you can sign up to at deloitte.co.uk/studentmondaybriefing 

04/02/2014
Corporate Tax Associate, Deloitte UK

Hi Allison, any research is good - you hear people saying they spent two weeks reading FT every day preparing for an interview but that wasn't the case for me (and I don't think it needs to be!). One thing which tends to look good is to take something from a particular area that you have an interest in and be able to talk about that/lean the conversation towards it when it comes to commercial awareness stuff. I.e. is there anything in the biochemical industry recently that has interested you? I wouldn't know the first thing about that area sadly...

That said, general commercial awareness is important - if you're aware of the key business/economic stories at the moment, especially anything affecting the area you're applying to, then that will help you at interview.

04/02/2014
Allison S.

Thank you, that's all great help

04/02/2014
Amy N.

Allison, as another biochemist I looked into current drug trails and how the results can affect the drug companies overall. There was a really good example with Receptor Tyrosine Kinase inhibitors (Gefitinib and Erlotinib)
being designed by AstraZenica and OSI Pharma a few years back causing a crash in share prices due to dodgy data. Something like that might be quite good....

04/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thank you Steven for the link to the Student Monday Briefing

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website