“ What does Risk Consulting involve? ”

Lorna K. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - North
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

07/02/2014
31 Live chat
Hi, I would like to know more about Risk Consulting, particularly Technology Risk, what does it involve?
07/02/2014
Technology Consultant, Deloitte UK

Hi Lorna, technology risk covers a broad range of areas. Some of the areas covered are:

- Technology Assurance and Advisory services
- External Audit Support for IT
- IT Internal Audit
- Data Management
- Information Security
- IT Governance
- Business Continuity Management

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thanks Shaz, I have read that on the website, I just wanted to be more clear as to what happens on a day to day basis....

07/02/2014

I have worked in a few of these areas before particularly Business Continuity Management, which is all about looking at the technology processes within a business and ensuring they have the right processes in place to manage any major incidents e.g. one of there key systems goes down. Day to day basis will rely on the project / engagement you are working on.

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

Awesome! Do you get to spend a lot of time on client sites or are you mostly in the office?

07/02/2014
Senior Consultant (Technology Risk & Controls, Risk Advisory), Deloitte LLP

Hi Lorna, I am also in Technology Risk, and I have found that probably my time is spent half and half between the office and out on client site. It often involves working on interesting projects working within a company to help them improve something, or to ensure that they have efficient controls in place.

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

What kind of clients/projects do you handle for example. It sounds very interesting!

07/02/2014

However, there are people who work 99% of the time out on client site, and at the same time, some people who work 99% of the time in the office... it really does depend what kind of project you're working on!

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

Great coincidence Lauren, I have applied to join the Leeds office for that particular service line and so wanted to receive greater insight!

07/02/2014

Haha that's lucky! Where abouts in the process are you?

07/02/2014

The possibilities are endless in consulting as Deloitte has vast range of clients. For example I have been working for a client and spend 90% my time on client sites. For this particular client I travelled across number of sites in Europe and recently spend a month in Brazil.

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

Exactly Lauren, I have been scheduled for my first interview at the end of this month...

07/02/2014

Do you know who it is with yet? Anything you particularly need help with?

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thanks Shaz, that sounds fantastic!! I am excited about Technology, and if it includes a bit of travel and interacting with different clients then its a great bonus! What about qualifications? Do you get trained in other certifications apart from AAT?

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

Not yet Laura, Linzi told me she would be unable to confirm that as it could change at any moment. Any tips for the first interview would be greatly appreciated!!

07/02/2014

You will have the choice if you want to study the ACA. It's not compulsory but it is an option, and is encouraged if you want to do it. There are also other opportunities to complete qualifications throughout your career, for example every year in January we have "winter school" where you choose a course you want to do, one of which is the Prince 2 qualification.

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

I am getting more and more excited by the minute! I am almost finalising an MBA in Project Management and I had planned to do the PRINCE 2 upon completion, that would be fantastic!

07/02/2014

First interview tips I would just say, be yourself and be confident. Look at the competencies on the website and think of 2-3 examples for each one (e.g. when have you worked as a team, when have you given a presentation), try to give comprehensive answers to the interviewer. Research Deloitte thoroughly and the service line.

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

Noted with thanks!

Lauren and Shaz, how long have you been in Deloitte, and what are some of the best experiences and most challenging as well, that you have faced in your first year?

07/02/2014

I started in September 2013, so haven't been with the firm long. I think the main challenge that I've found is that I was surprised by how much responsibility you are given right from the start. By December, I was out visiting clients on my own, and working on projects independently (obviously with guidance from managers). I am so impressed by how much I have learnt and how much I have developed as a person since starting Deloitte, which is probably in a nutshell the best experience I've had. To give you some specifics, a really good experience is a job I am working on at the moment, which is a process improvement project with a public sector client. I wouldn't really say I've had 'challenges' as such, because although I've found things difficult at times, all of my colleagues are so helpful that I felt able to ask as many questions as I needed.

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

Great stuff! That's amazing! Have you opted to do your AAT training, as I see you have a Finance and Accounting background? If so, has it been easy to balance studies and work?

07/02/2014

I am actually on industrial placement this year (in between 2nd and 3rd year at uni) - so I have only sat the first 2 exams of the ACA. However, when (hopefully) I come back as a graduate I will do the ACA. I have colleagues who do the qualification, and Deloitte really are great at giving you the time out to prepare for exams to balance the studies and work. I'm not saying it's easy to do, because it's not in any firm as the qualification takes a lot of time. However, you are given study leave and college time to prepare, and managers really respect the time that the qualification takes, so do not tend to hassle you on your phone/emails etc when you're on study leave.

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

Thank you Lauren, like you I have a Finance and Accounting background, so I am quite apprehensive about "technology risk" as I literally have no background in technology or risk! So its a great relief to know Deloitte supports its staff all the way!!

07/02/2014

I thought exactly the same! It has changed since I applied, I just applied to 'controls' and then we got allocated either tec risk, AAC or G&C, and when I found out I was technology, I panicked!!! However, I have learnt so much! Technology risk is also (in my opinion) probably the most interesting of the 3, as you get involved in more project based jobs, whereas AAC & G&C are IT Audits and internal audits mainly. However, in first couple of years you do get involved across all 3 lines, so it works well!

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

This is amazing, the same thing happened to me, I applied to audit, however I was later asked to choose between TR or G&C which still had spaces available. I looked at both options and TR sounded more interesting to me so I went with it, thanks for confirming that! I also like that I won't get to miss out on what G&C or AAT is about because there is exposure to all three!! Thanks ever so much Lauren.

07/02/2014

No you won't at all miss out! Also worth adding, that if theres something you want to get involved with, if you express your interest, 90% of the time you will get to work on it

07/02/2014

I can't believe how similar we are haha!

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

I know right... I'm literally sitting here in amazement!

07/02/2014

Haha me too! Anything else you would like to know?

07/02/2014
Lorna K.

I read on the website about the Women's Initiative (WiN) on the Deloitte website, and watched the clip, it made me more interested in Deloitte, how does it work? Is it that every woman in Deloitte joins it and its an internal network, or does it mean that there are more friendly policies for women and mum's... what opportunities does it offer...? Sorry, I seem to have tons of questions!

07/02/2014

Tons of questions are good don't worry!! Fire away! We have a women's network for both internal and external, which gives women the chance for networking and dinners etc. There are also good opportunities for balancing work/life in your career, so it's a bit of both really

07/02/2014
Assistant Manager, Deloitte LLP

I help with the Leeds internal women's network Lorna and can vouch that it is a great opportunity to network with other women across the different Deloitte service lines whilst having some fun at the same time. The external women's targets women in senior business roles at clients / potential clients and again is a chance for them to build their external networks and get to know Deloitte better!

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website