“ What are the different steps of the application process? ”

Kevin L. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - London
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

11/02/2014
18 Live chat
Hi there, thanks for hosting this chat. Can you shed some light on the application process and the different steps involved? How can we stand out in every of those steps?
11/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

Kevin there is a downloadable PDF under top tips that will help hugely

mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/university/a… 

11/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte UK

Would any of the recent Deloitte grads like to add any of their own experiences in the interview/selection process that may assist Kevin?

11/02/2014
Kevin L.

Thanks for this Claire. I was also curious to get some insights from actual graduates who went through the process if possible. Thanks Neil - exactly what I was looking for.

11/02/2014
Associate- International Assignment Services, Deloitte

Hi Kevin I will start with some advice for the e-tray which is the first big step in the recruitment process. I found the best thing to do is simply not to panic! read through every email that comes in carefully as there is plenty of time to answer them all. for the written response again time-planning is key, make sure you leave a few minutes at the end to check your answer. I noticed several mistakes in my response during these few minutes and when it comes down to it these small differences can put you ahead of the other candidates. Hope that was useful :-)

11/02/2014
Associate, Global Employment Tax, Deloitte

Hi Kevin, I'll briefly run through some tips for each stage:

Application – take your time and research the firm and role thoroughly
Tests – practice, practice, practice before taking the real thing!
E-tray – don’t rush and read through the information carefully and taking notes helped me
First interview – ensure you have examples for each of Deloitte’s key competencies and be yourself in the interview. Make sure you can answer why you want to work for Deloitte and the specific role you are applying for
Final interview and presentation – you can’t prepare as much for this as it depends very much on which partner interviews you, but again be yourself. For the presentation, make sure you’ve spent time preparing it as best you can

11/02/2014
Associate, Audit TMT, Deloitte

My little add on, try and have a number of examples of things you have done for each of the key competency areas. Try and demonstrate you're a well rounded individual who's sociable and outgoing as well as ticking the boxes for being academic, diligent etc. Deloitte is fun of people with great and varying personalities, bring your own to the table.

And be prepared for unexpected questions, ie don't get flustered, think about it logically and answer as best you can. There might not be a right or wrong answer.

11/02/2014

For the first interview Deloitte tells you exactly what you need to know on their website. Know the key competencies and have strong examples of how you have/can demonstrate them and you should be fine. There are no trick questions and it really is down to you to show the interviewer that you are what the firm is looking for.

11/02/2014
Kevin L.

Thank you all for your insights. It's always reassuring to hear it from people who went through the process, appreciate it.

11/02/2014

Is there anything else you would find useful to know Kevin?

11/02/2014

The final interview is tricky but be yourself and don't be intimidated by the partner. Making it to the final stage in the process is not easy and making it to the interview is 90% of the way there. Knowing your presentation well and speaking with confidence will put you in a good position before they ask you some of the trickier questions!

11/02/2014
Associate, Audit TMT, Deloitte

Reminds me of one thing I faced in re the presentation, I was asked a question I didn't know the answer to so I just asked the partner what he thought about the issue. Seemed to go down just fine.

11/02/2014
Kevin L.

Thanks, very helpful. Regarding the interview(s) - is it a general discussion regarding your profile, competencies and why you fit with Deloitte or do you get specific case studies like some of the management consultant firms make you go through?

11/02/2014
Associate, Global Employment Tax, Deloitte

I agree, it doesn't matter too much if you don't know the answer. In my partner interview there were a couple of questions I was unsure of but how you handle the situation is more important. There is a case study for consultancy I believe but not for the other service lines.

11/02/2014

The interview will be a competency based interview for the first round which means that you will be asked to provide examples that demonstrate your skills in a particular area

11/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

That's right Amber, only consulting applicants do a group exercise and case study as part of their first stage interview.

11/02/2014

I found the partner interview was largely about how you coped with the pressure and expressed yourself rather than how much you know about tax. Everyone is assumed to have no technical knowledge upon starting but knowing a little, especially that which is current affairs is very useful.

10/12/2014
Anon user (#163268)

Hi all,

I am currently applying for tax.

Is there a group interview for this service line? As I am not sure if it comes under tax consultancy or just tax.

If there is no group interview please would you be able to provide me with the 2014-2015 application process.

Thanks,

Mandi

10/12/2014
Steven B.

Hi Mandi,
If you visit the student careers pages at www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/careers/students…  you'll find all the detail you need on applying to join one of our programmes.

Kind regards,
Steven

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website