“ How many ACA exams are taken in the first year etc? ”

Sabeen O. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - London
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

11/02/2014
28 Live chat
Hi, thank you for this opportunity, I have an offer for a graduate role within the Audit Department with Deloitte. I was wondering whether you could tell me a bit more about the training received in the first year i.e. how many ACA exams are taken in the first year etc? Many thanks
11/02/2014
Associate, Audit TMT, Deloitte

Hi Sabeen, I've been with the firm since September and so far there has been 6 exams. The next stage of exams are in June and in September.
The training follows the pattern of you are released from work and go to college for a block of X number of weeks (just depends on number of subjects, typically 3-6 weeks), you then have some time away from college back at work and self study before heading back for exams after a few weeks.

11/02/2014
Senior Associate, Deloitte Real Estate

Hi Sabeen- just to add to what Scott said, you'll also receive 2-3 weeks of in-house Deloitte training over the course of your 1st year. This covers job specifics, as well as general professional skills: dealing with clients, dealing with your managers expectations, managing people you are responsible for in your team (which you'll have by the end of first year!) etc. Do you have any specific questions or concerns about the ACA? We're happy to help with anything you might want to know.

11/02/2014
Sabeen O.

Many thanks for your replies.

11/02/2014
Sabeen O.

Is there any pre course reading that you would recommend for me?

11/02/2014

You'll receive it in due course before going to college, if you accept/have accepted the offer.

11/02/2014

You'll receive some pre-course material from Deloitte prior to joining, which will cover the basics of the first block of college (which you do in your 3rd-6th week with the firm). The way the college course is structured, it wouldn't be necessary (or even beneficial) to do any other pre-reading.

11/02/2014
Sabeen O.

Are there any general tips you can give me regarding studying for the ACA?

11/02/2014

The college tutors are very competent and knowledgeable, and the material is well structured- if you pay attention in college, and do all the work/ exam question practice they suggest, you will almost certainly pass!

11/02/2014
Senior Associate, Corporate Finance, Deloitte LLP

Hi Sabeen. Do not underestimate the hard work you will need to put in for the ACA. Whilst you are at college you will need to work in the evenings to complete homework. However, do not let this scare you, if you follow the college tuition and keep on top of the work, all of the exams are 'do-able', but certainly different to University.

11/02/2014

As above, study and don't worry about anything! The main thing is time as Rob says, use your time to study wisely

11/02/2014
Sabeen O.

Could you also tell me when I have to send my referees details etc?

11/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

Around 6 - 8 weeks before start date. All compliance documents and contracts sent then as well and the referencing firm will ask for the details and contact your referees directly

11/02/2014
Sabeen O.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I look forward to joining Deloitte in September!

11/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

and we look forward to having you join! :)

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website