“ What would help us stand out in the graduate application process for Tax consulting at Deloitte? ”

Priyanka K. asked a question
during the live chat Early Application Community - Tax Live Chat
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

15/06/2016
7 Live chat
15/06/2016
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte UK

Hi Priyanka, I would certainly highlight the importance of showing a deeper understanding of the role and the wider challenges of the tax consulting practice.

For instance, reading some articles in the press and showing an opinion on this in addition to showing a lot of enthusiasm towards the role. I would also add that you demonstrate the ability and interest in some of the technical aspects of the role and an aptitude to learn. Not to mention the importance of building good client relationships

15/06/2016
Analyst - Tax, Deloitte UK

In addition to Neil's comments, I believe that you can stand out by demonstrating aspects of your life outside of studies/work such as any extra-curricular activities, groups, qualifications etc.

15/06/2016
Priyanka K.

OK, also just wanted to ask whether commercial experience is necessary as well? As most of my work experience is in part-time jobs and volunteering

15/06/2016
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte UK

It is not essential but certainly any research you can conduct in advance of the interview will really help! But this is absolutely not essential for the interview or role as we will provide all the training

15/06/2016
Analyst - Tax, Deloitte UK

Commercial experience within the industry isn't necessary, but if you have some then this may give you a beneficial insight for discussion in the interview. Part-time jobs and volunteering are great and often provide plenty of experiences to discuss during the interview process.

15/06/2016
Analyst, Corporate Tax, Deloitte UK

Hi, I agree with Neil and Ben. Commercial experience is not essential - my only other jobs prior to joining Deloitte were part-time. I had a mentoring job at university and I also worked at McDonald's! However, having commercial awareness and taking an interest in the things that are going on in the world of business and finance are definitely useful.

15/06/2016
Priyanka K.

That's good to hear then, thanks all for the feedback!

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website