“ How important is a summer internship in the second year of undergraduate studies? ”

Francesca F. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - London
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

11/02/2014
15 Live chat
Good afternoon everyone. I was wondering, how important is a summer internship in the second year of undergraduate studies to boost chances of being accepted for a graduate scheme? Are job shadowing periods valuable even though usually less "formal"?
11/02/2014
Associate, Corporate Tax, Deloitte UK

Hi Francesca, I would say that second year summer internships are a very useful way of being accepted for the graduate scheme. The majority of the people I know who were on the summer vacation scheme ended up taking up graduate positions.

The SVS is a great opportunity to show that you are well suited to the role, and gives plenty to discuss in the partner interview should you decide to apply for a full time role.

11/02/2014
Early Identification Manager, Deloitte UK

Hi Francesca, I would say that all work experience is valuable as it will give you experience to draw upon in an interview. However we do not require students to have taken part in a formal work experience scheme as long as they have some form of basic work experience

11/02/2014
Associate, Audit TMT, Deloitte

All job related experience is good experience!
In terms of importance, as Daniel says the majority continue into grad roles but plenty people in grad roles have not done prior internships.

11/02/2014
Francesca F.

Thank you all, I understand. I have applied for summer internships but I am still hesitating; I will hopefully have the opportunity to do a few job shadowing periods in different companies (probably one in PwC and one in Deloitte) and I think this would possibly give me a broader understanding of the different roles in different companies.

11/02/2014
Associate, Corporate Tax, Deloitte UK

Yes that would absolutely be a beneficial thing to do

11/02/2014
Senior Associate, Corporate Finance, Deloitte LLP

Francesca, I interned at other Big4 prior to Deloitte, it will certainly give you something to talk about in your graduate interviews

11/02/2014
Francesca F.

Do you think that possibly having tried different roles even if for a shorter period of time would give me an advantage? (also in terms of understanding what I would like to do!)

11/02/2014

I think that it would as this would help you justify your career motivation for your chosen career path

11/02/2014
Associate, Global Employment Tax, Deloitte

Yes, even working in a business environment will show that you have the ability to work with other people and perform under pressure, it's all useful no matter what role you are applying for

11/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte UK

I hope this has been useful Francesca - Is there anything else we can help with?

11/02/2014
Francesca F.

Thank you, it was really useful! Actually, the last thing I'd like to ask: do you have any "networking tips"? When I meet recruiters, I am not sure how to balance questions and information about me; i.e. I don't want to start talking non-stop about my experience but at the same time I don't want to make the contact a third degree interrogation!

11/02/2014

When meeting recruiters I would recommend taking every opportunity to ask any questions and ensure you show your enthusiasm towards the role

11/02/2014

When introducing yourself, keep it simple, let them know the year of study and degree and role you are looking to apply to or area of interest, the recruiter can help steer the conversation from there. :)

11/02/2014
Francesca F.

Thank you! Really useful advice, I appreciate it! :)

11/02/2014

Best of luck Francesca

Add to this thread

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website