“ What changes do you foresee in your Scottish offices if there were to be a Yes vote in the upcoming referendum? ”

Ailean P. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - Scotland & Northern Ireland
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

18/02/2014
11 Live chat
Hello. What changes do you foresee in your Scottish offices if there were to be a Yes vote in the upcoming referendum on Scottish independence?
18/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

Good question! I understand the teams are putting in plans to consider the impact that this change would have at a strategic level but I have not yet had sight about how this would affect us on an operational level.

18/02/2014
Ailean P.

Thanks for the answer, do you think that it could affect your graduate intake in any way? I'm hoping to apply next year and at the moment the uncertainty surrounding the situation is a bit daunting. Forgive me if I seem a little cautious as I know it's a possibility that nothing will change!

18/02/2014

Agreed and we are all waiting to see what happens. Clearly the firm will have to respond to any changes. I am however confident that there will always be a need for good graduates in the Scottish region!

18/02/2014
Steven B.

Hi Ailean,
While it's very hard to predict, it is equally hard to imagine that these changes would affect next year's graduate intake. Firstly I think there would be many more processes and discussions to move through before a yes vote turned into any concrete changes. Secondly, it seems that such change for a business such as ours would actually mean more work rather than less.
Best advice is to keep an eye on the issue, not least because it will highlight your interest in current affairs.

18/02/2014

So.. don't let this put off applying for opportunities!

18/02/2014
Ailean P.

Great, thanks for the reassurance. Whilst I've got you here, do you find that there are any particular differences in office culture between a Scottish and English office? At this stage I'm hoping to apply for Tax, which is obviously your biggest service line, so I also wondered how the work varies in Scotland compared to England. Thanks

18/02/2014
Senior Associate - Corporate Tax, Deloitte LLP

Hi Ailean, I think I could help out on this one. I am based in Corporate Tax in the Birmingham office, and we take part in training events with graduates from the Scottish offices. It sounds like the work is fairly similar - lots of client-based work, ranging from core compliance work to various advisory roles.

18/02/2014
Ailean P.

Thanks Alex, do you ever collaborate on work with Scottish offices? I imagine the clients might be different but it's interesting to know

18/02/2014
Senior Associate - Corporate Tax, Deloitte LLP

In the time that I have been working here since September I haven't completed much collaboration with other offices, however the network which you build up through things like the training courses means that you have a variety of contacts in Deloitte all over the UK. This is really useful if, for example, something comes up in my day-to-day job which I have not come across before but I know someone who would know the answer - in this case, it would be useful to quickly phone up someone I knew from another office and get an answer straight away. This is how I see collaboration mainly at a graduate level, although I am sure that further up the firm there is even more inter-office collaboration, particularly as your network of contacts grows.

18/02/2014
Ailean P.

Great, thanks for the answers! I've got to go to a lecture in a sec, will I be able to read this stuff later?

18/02/2014
Kate W.

Hi Ailean - all of the conversation will be stored on the Deloitte On Air app so you can go back and check in when you want to!

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website