Kieran U.
“ How can I best display the adaptability competency without much experience in the workplace? ”

Kieran U. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - Scotland & Northern Ireland
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

on 18/02/2014
11 Live chat
Hi there, my question is how can I best display the adaptability competency without much experience in the workplace? Most of my jobs have been with companies that aren’t often subject to change. What do you suggest for me to do to strengthen myself in this competency?
on 18/02/2014
Programme Design Advisor - National, Deloitte UK

Hi Kieran, I would advise using examples from your time at university/college/school. Try to think of a time when you have been working on an assignment/project where you have had to make changes throughout the process to complete this

on 18/02/2014

Please do not worry about lack of work experience as you can draw examples to use in the competency from a range of experiences as Nicole mentioned. FYI this is assessed at Partner Interview not First Interview..

on 18/02/2014

Also, if you are a member of a sports team you could draw some examples from this.

on 18/02/2014
Kieran U.

Thanks for the answers. James could you elaborate a little bit? I saw on the website that both the first interview and the partner interview are both competency based. Are different competencies tested at each interview?

on 18/02/2014

We have one competency matrix that is assessed at both Partner and First Interview but not all competencies are assessed at both stages. So it is good practise to prepare for all of them as they will come up!

on 18/02/2014
Senior Associate - Corporate Tax, Deloitte LLP

If you have been working with different companies, perhaps you could mention how you adapted yourself to each company. For example, how you conducted yourself differently when you were working in a client-facing or customer service role, to a role where you were office-based.

on 18/02/2014
Kieran U.

Thanks for the info. I'm due to graduate in July 2015 so I've still got some time to gain a bit more experience! I've completed e-tray exercises for other companies whilst looking for an industrial placement last year, I assume that it will be a similar situation for Deloitte but do you have any tips. Of course practice is the best tip but is there anything I should know about the exercise?

on 18/02/2014

Yes it will be a numerical test and then an etray assessment you will sit for Deloitte too, My best advice would be to make sure you make use of the practice tests on our website, they are very helpful and give you an idea of what to expect. Make sure you put aside time to do this when you can concentrate 100% on this without any interruptions to give you the best chance

on 18/02/2014
Kieran U.

Thanks Nicole. Can I ask you, as a recruiter, why the e-tray exercise is used as a screening tool for Deloitte? During the application process for my industrial placements I experiences a number of different exercises and wondered what it is that is proved by completing this kind of test. Furthermore, could you provide me with some more information on how the scoring of this test works?

on 18/02/2014

Hi Kieran. I think the e-tray is a great way to see how you judge competing priorities and also how you react under pressure. It will also test attention to detail and accuracy.

on 18/02/2014
Kieran U.

Great, thanks for your answers!

Add to this thread

Deloitte UK

We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. Yet – as is our way – we’re always striving to be even better. We’re working hard to develop and refine the experience of working here. At the centre of that lies what we believe is a distinctive culture and way of working.

Visit website