“ Any advice for the final interview? ”

Jillian N. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte 'ON AIR' Chat - Scotland & Northern Ireland
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

18/02/2014
21 Live chat
Hi there, I am waiting on my final interview for Deloitte in a few days and would like to ask if anyone has any advice, my interview is for Audit financial services in edinburgh ?
18/02/2014
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte

Well done on making it to Partner Interview!

18/02/2014
Audit Assistant Manager, Deloitte LLP

Hi Jillian, that's brilliant news. The partner interview is partially commercial so have a read of current issues around financial services.
There are also some interesting areas within audit at the moment for instance the new audit reports, narrative reporting and increased interest by clients in corporate governance.

The interview will still be competency based as well so make sure you have some examples ready, the website details the competency matrix.

18/02/2014
Jillian N.

Sophie this is great I'll refresh on these areas. Thanks, very helpful.

18/02/2014
Senior Associate - Corporate Tax, Deloitte LLP

Hi Jillian, congratulations on gaining a final interview. Although I work in Corporate Tax, as general advice I would recommend refreshing yourself on your competencies and making sure that you are up to date with any recent relevant news items, particular those where Deloitte is involved, and be willing to discuss these.

If you have any questions then the interview is also a good opportunity to find out answers that you have not been able to source through other means.

18/02/2014
Jillian N.

Ok thanks a lot. I've been looking online at some potential questions for the interviewer to ask me. One of the ones I came across was "How do you know you are you when you wake up in the morning? " How would I go about answering a question such as this ?

18/02/2014

I work in student recruitment and have not heard that one before at Deloitte or any of the firms I have worked for. We conduct competency based interviews so you know the areas we are asking about and your answers are rooted in things you have done..

18/02/2014

I've never heard of a question of this sort being asked in a Deloitte interview. In my final interview I got the question, why do you believe that you would fit in at Deloitte?

18/02/2014
Analyst, Consulting, Deloitte, UK

I got asked about a time that I thought I had made a mistake, that one took a bit of thinking

18/02/2014
Jillian N.

Ok thanks a lot for your help. I thought it sounded unusual compared to the questions on the Deloitte information pages. I'll bear this in mind

18/02/2014

That said, I do think there is a general point that Partners do have different interviewing styles which you need to respond to appropriately..

18/02/2014
Jillian N.

Ok, I'll aim to be flexible to what questions they ask me and prepare best I can.

18/02/2014

Have you had your presentation topic yet?

18/02/2014
Jillian N.

Yes James, it is on auditor independence and what it means in an audit context. Ive prepared most of it so far but still about 1 minute short of the 5 minute guideline

As far as I am aware the main difference between audit and audit financial services tends to be that FS operates with banks, building societies and hedge funds. Would this be the case?

Also what would be the difference between the 2 on a day to day basis?

18/02/2014

Again just be prepared to either deliver this in one go or you may find the Partner has questions as you go along! Also, if you have not done it already do pull your presentation together to.. what it means to deloitte and Audit FS!

18/02/2014
Jillian N.

ok, great advice. I'll try and bring it back to Deloitte and the department more, I have mentioned it slightly but if I extend this part it should fill my 5 minutes. Thank you

18/02/2014

OK, this will just pull it together and show you have thought through the implications for Deloitte.

18/02/2014
Jillian N.

Ok thanks a lot

18/02/2014
Jillian N.

Are there any key differences of working within the financial sector than a role in general audit ? Or is this mainly related to the clients you operate with such as banks rather than say manufacturing companies ?

18/02/2014

Definitely! It will change what sort of testing you will be focusing on. There are a lot of regulations in the financial sector so there are specific FCA audits to protect the public's money. We also complete very detailed internal controls audits and report on these.

In a normal audit for financial services the teams are a lot bigger and some of the judgements are more complicated on a company’s balance sheet. Valuation of the client's assets and liabilities is harder as more often or not you will have complicated contracts and high levels of risk involved

18/02/2014
Jillian N.

Ok thats great. Thanks Sophie, sounds interesting! Thanks for all the help today. It has been amazing, hopefully the final interview goes well!

18/02/2014

Good luck!

Add to this thread

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website