“ What is your job like on a day to day basis? Do you have to have an accounting degree to be in the audit advisory team? ”

Rachael G. asked a question in topic Career Choices
to Lauren P. Senior Consultant (Technology Risk & Controls, Risk Advisory), Deloitte LLP

16/07/2014
Hi Lauren,

I am currently looking into applying for the risk consulting graduate scheme and wanted a bit more insider information if you don't mind.

I was wondering what your job is like on a day to day basis i.e. what kind of work are you expected to do. Furthermore, I have just finished a law conversion, and while I was clearly able to deal with legal issues, I think I have reached my capacity for college studying. I was therefore wondering whether you have to have an accounting degree to be in the audit advisory team (I see you were an accountancy student), and if not, would I have to take further qualifications once at Deloitte or is the learning on the job.

Thank you for any information you can share with me,

Best wishes,

Rachael
16/07/2014
Senior Consultant (Technology Risk & Controls, Risk Advisory), Deloitte LLP

Hi Rachael,

Thanks for your message. Of course I don't mind answering any questions that you may have! I am going to try and answer in as much detail as I possibly can, so apologies for the lengthy reply!

Firstly, on a day to day basis, the job role really does vary. It sounds very cliché, but no day really is the same. In a nutshell, the department is separated into different areas, the "controls" side being what I am in, which is separated further into 3 key areas; Audit Analytics and controls (AAC), Governance & Compliance (G&C) and Technology Risk (I am placed in Technology Risk). As a junior grade, you will do work in all three areas, so I will give you an overview about them all.

AAC - This is part of external Financial Audit. Our team visit a client to complete an IT Audit prior to the financial audit team being on site. The result of our audit then depends on how much detail the financial audit team need to do their testing in. So we test things like, how strong the passwords are, if appropriate people have access to sensitive information, if staff that have left the company have had their access to the network removed etc.
G&C - This is primarily internal audit, and the engagements vary on a job to job basis. Clients may request an internal audit to review a certain policy, or to review all of the processes within their company.
Technology Risk - This is more of an advisory competency, in Technology Risk we complete work such as due diligence and process improvement across all different industries.

It's really hard to say what kinds of work the department does, as it varies so much! It's what keeps it exciting though! In terms of working on a daily basis, as a junior grade you will always be supporting a manager or senior consultant, you will never be expected to complete a piece of work entirely independently. However, this doesn't mean that you are there to photocopy and make cups of tea - that's not the case at all. You will be given responsibility from day 1 and will be responsible to complete your own work, of which the manager will review initially. You will be client-facing and will be expected to lead your own meetings once you have settled in to the job role, and feel comfortable to do so.

In terms of studying, in the department you are given a choice as to whether you study for the ACA (chartered accountancy ICAEW qualification) or not. If you choose to do so, this will mean that you will be in and out of college for 3 years, and will complete around 15 professional exams. However, you do not need to do this, the choice is entirely yours. Also, I am actually one of very few people in my department who have a "relevant" Accounting degree. Deloitte recruit on an individual basis and no degree is favourable against another; for example, graduates this year in the department, one has a degree in Geography, one in Economics, another in Politics, so there really is a mix! Deloitte have a thorough training programme when you join the graduate scheme, so all graduates will be at the "same level" when work commences. Nobody will be expected to know anything specific before you join, as all of the technical skills required for the job can be taught to you. Deloitte look for more personable qualities, such as communication skills, teamwork skills and career motivation.

I hope this answers your questions, but if you have any others please do not hesitate to ask!
Lauren

16/07/2014
Rachael G.

Hi Lauren,

Thank you so much, I cannot express how useful this has been. It has cleared a lot of concerns and has me excited about applying again.

Good luck in your work and all the best,

Rachael

16/07/2014

Hi Rachael,

Really glad to hear it! If you need any help or have any queries throughout your application, don't hesitate to let me know :)

Lauren

17/07/2014
Rachael G.

That is very kind, thank you.

Rachael

22/07/2017
ABHINAV G.

Hi Lauren,
I am a mechanical engineer graduating this year at the end of July. Previously I had asked whether there was a job in your company relevant to my course but no such vacancies were available then. Could you brief me on the job roles at Deloitte which can be applied holding any graduate degree? Moreover a briefing of the application process would be really helpful.

22/07/2017
ABHINAV G.

Hi Lauren,
I am a mechanical engineer graduating this year at the end of July. Previously I had asked whether there was a job in your company relevant to my course but no such vacancies were available then. Could you brief me on the job roles at Deloitte which can be applied holding any graduate degree? Moreover a briefing of the application process would be really helpful.

24/07/2017

Hi Abhinav,
Our graduate schemes do not require a specific degree, and so you could apply to any of them with your engineering degree. In fact, somebody in my team has an engineering degree! If you have a look at the graduate recruitment website you will be able to see details over all of our schemes. It's best to have a read through and see which you feel is best suited to you.

There are some variances depending on the service line you opt, but generally it is an online application form, followed by online tests. Then, a first interview which is usually with a manager or senior manager which consists of a case study which is an 'on the spot' test and also questions around previous projects you have been involved in. This is to assess, for example, how you problem solve, communicate and work as a team.

You then have a partner interview, which consists of delivering a presentation at the beginning (you are given the topic in advance) followed by questions around your personal values, and how that ties in with Deloitte.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you would like to know anything else.

24/07/2017
ABHINAV G.

Hi Lauren,
Thanks a ton for the reply. Nonetheless I did want to add just a couple of other queries. Firstly are these job posts available at all branches of Deloitte all over the world, specifically in India where I am thinking of studying in the future? Moreover how can I get to know of any such vacancies in the company? Also could you just specify the link to the aforesaid graduate scheme that you mentioned? Lastly could you please explain what form of preparation I should take before applying and what form of training I can expect? Your previous reply has already been of a great help and I am sorry for bothering you again.
Thanking you.
Abhinav

24/07/2017

No problem, happy to help. I'm afraid I don't know a great deal about Deloitte India as they have entirely separate graduate schemes to the UK firm however I'm sure such detail would be available on the website (a quick google search will bring all of the details up!).

The training that you undertake whilst on the graduate scheme differs depending on the service line, but we do undertake quite rigorous training across them all, both in technical and soft skills required for the role. Such training also continues throughout your career to develop your skills. Most graduate schemes also offer professional qualifications, the ACA (ICAEW) being the most common.

Hope that helps.

24/07/2017
ABHINAV G.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply Lauren. I will definitely take a detailed look into it. Lastly if not in India can I specifically apply for uk as my job location?
Thank you again for your time. I will do the needful as soon as possible.

24/07/2017

You can apply directly to the UK graduate schemes and you will be asked to apply to a specific office. Good luck!

24/07/2017
ABHINAV G.

Thank you a lot

05/08/2017
Alec F.

Hi Lauren,

I'm trying to get my head around what my first-year responsibilities would be. How much independence would I be expected to have, and how many tasks would I be given on a typical audit? It's exciting to hear that every day is different, but it makes trying to understand the day-to-day responsibilities a little daunting.

Cheers, Alec

08/08/2017

Hi Alec,
Are you specifically looking at a role within audit? I sit within Risk Advisory so not 100% certain on audit roles however I believe it is a little more structured in terms of day to day workload. It is still exciting and different in terms of working with different teams, at different clients etc, but due to the nature of a financial audit you will learn how to test specific balances and then these tests are replicated across different clients if that makes sense.

Every day at Deloitte is different but you will always have plenty of people around to support you, so there's no need to worry! You'll never be left alone to do something you don't feel comfortable with.

Lauren

Add to this thread

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website