“ I would like to apply for a summer internship next year. What should I do to get myself prepared? ”

Tom L. asked a question
during the live chat Risk Analytics Placement - Live Chat
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

31/03/2017
14 Live chat
31/03/2017
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte UK

Hi Tom, very good question. In terms of a summer vacation scheme did you have in mind joining next summer?

31/03/2017
Tom L.

Yes, in 2018. I will have a summer internship in a commercial bank in 2017, learning about financial control and treasury stuff.

31/03/2017

Ok great, in terms of preparation I would absolutely suggest researching your preferred role, taking the time to gain any additional work experience where possible and review the selection process for the firm. We have some really useful information on our selection process which also offers some practice exercises - www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/careers/ar… 

31/03/2017
Tom L.

Thank you! I was wondering if you had some advice on the case study exercise? What skills are interviewers looking for when they are observing?

31/03/2017

Of course, we have online assessments in the earlier stages of the selection process but have a case study assessment that forms part of the interview. Essentially, you will be provided with a fictional business scenario which you will spend some time reviewing. After this your interviewer will spend roughly 15mins discussing your findings. It is important to remember there is no right on wrong answer.

In addition I would recommend showing your thought process and spending some of your prep time to consider questions you are likely to be asked

31/03/2017
Tom L.

Thanks! I knew some graduates studying economics end up working in a technology sector. Is programming skills required to join?

31/03/2017

Hi Tom, it is not an essential requirement for a graduate position. Some very technical roles do have this but in many cases the full training is provided. If this is an area that interests you, I would suggest researching some of the programming capabilities

31/03/2017
Tom L.

And following up questions about case study assessment, is that a group project or an individual one?

31/03/2017

For Risk Advisory it will be an individual case study assessment

31/03/2017
Tom L.

So, do you reckon is necessary for me to take CFA exams?

31/03/2017

It won't be essential but any additional qualifications/capabilities you have will support your application

31/03/2017
Tom L.

I did an online assessment for the spring internship. I wasn't quite clear on whether Deloitte are looking for innovative candidates or the ones that follow instructions meticulously? And I don't see the point of the game-base assessment in the first round.

31/03/2017

Hi Tom, the gamification based assessment is designed to measure certain attributes for instance decision making and prioritisation. In terms of what we are looking for, we have certain attributes against a set criteria but we will also look for your knowledge of the role/firm, evidence of your research and your enthusiasm towards pursuing the position.

31/03/2017
Tom L.

Okay, thanks Neil!

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website