Amir A.
“ How can a person from a non-tech background, effectively demonstrate their passion and interest in Technology? ”

Amir A. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte Consulting Technology Live Chat
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

3 weeks, 3 days ago
35 Live chat
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

Hi Amir. I joined Deloitte a year ago having studied Finance at University. Now I am working in a technology role despite little background in the area. My advice would be to take on learning opportunities and experiences related to technology. For example, before joining I did some work experience at the tech start up accelerator. I volunteered at Web Summit, a large technology conference and completed online tech/digital training out of interest. For example, Digital Business Academy (digital marketing).

After joining, I would say show initiative and look for technical learning opportunities. For me there was an opportunity to complete a robotics process automation certification in UiPath. I did this in my spare time, I can share the details with you if you like. It is free online. Then after completion, I told relevant stakeholders and was resourced on a Robotics project as a developer. Steep learning curve and lots of hard work, but if you challenge yourself there's plenty of opportunity.

Amir, what is your background?

www.uipath.com/academy/certifications 

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

Hi Lewis. Thank you for the invaluable advice! I studied Economics at university, and am currently looking to pursue a career in Tech Consulting.

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

For instance, if you are interested in RPA you could join the academy at the link above and complete the foundation certification, it would should your desire to pursue technology.

That's great.. you should go for it.

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

I would really appreciate it if you could share the details of the course you undertook. I am definitely keen to undertake any technical/digital learning opportunities!

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

No problem, the link for the RPA is above, I would recommend that. There are plenty of people within technology who don't have technical backgrounds. Some pursue BA roles, others learn new skills and become more technical.

Amir, would you like the digital business academy link? Its less technical but would show some interest in digital marketing.

www.digitalbusinessacademyuk.com/ 

Here you go. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

It's reassuring to know that you can pursue a career in tech without a tech background. Thank you for the links! I definitely will check the websites out.

Kush K.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Kush K.

Hi Lewis, sorry to tag along, but I was wondering what the potential was to work on up and coming fields such as robotics and AI? And if you require training for these will the company sponsor this? I'm quite keen to find a niche sector that i really enjoy and want to become an expert in at some point in my career

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

Would you say it is beneficial/required
to learn how to code? I've been self learning Python in my spare time.

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

Definitely. Yes, I think its a great idea. Python, R etc.

There is lots of opportunity in Robotics and AI here, many service lines are strategically aligning themselves to develop their capability and pursue these opportunities.

Yes Kush, thats a great idea. Automation Anywhere, UiPath and Blue Prism are all great platforms to learn for Robotics. There is a lot of open source content for UiPath online, you can learn independently.

Neha V.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Neha V.

Hi Lewis, thank you for sharing your advice. Like Amir I’m interested in Technology, specifically in the Life and Health Sciences but I don’t a have technical background. I’ve recently completed an MSc in Health Psychology which helped me to uncover this interest. Would you say you would need technology experience in this area to be successful in the application process?

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

When you join the firm, there are plenty of opportunities that the company pays for to do Robotics training, depending what service line you are in. AI, machine learning, it is similar, lots of client demand. Learn Python, R etc.

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

Thank you Lewis for the invaluable advice! Really helpful.

Janis W.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Janis W.

Hi Lewis, this has been really helpful, thank you!

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

No, just show your determination, and willingness to learn. In addition, demonstrate that you have shown initiative to learn the technology you are willing to pursue

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

Do you also have any advice on how to build Technology related commercial awareness? It can be so vast at times.

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

It's likely that when you join you will end up doing something you have little experience in before, the key thing is to demonstrate you have the competency to excel in the role.

Are you looking to learn fast? Take on challenges? Deliver results? Etc. etc.

Amir, attend technology events, read online content from Deloitte etc, complete free online courses.

Neha V.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Neha V.

Great, thank you Lewis. I'm learning to code and I'm going to different networking events to build my knowledge of the area.

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

Great, sounds like a good idea

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

Thank you Lewis! I was wondering what drove you to pursue a career in Tech, given your Finance background?

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

I completed an Intern at a bank in accounting when I graduated. At the same time I was reading and experiencing more about technology (events etc.), I liked the faster pace, change, and opportunity to learn new ideas and technology.

Effectively its good to be towards the forefront of innovation, helping leading clients to implement change that will help them sustain competitive advantage. In my opinion more uncertainty around technology means more opportunity. More exciting too.

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

I definitely agree! I initially wanted to pursue a career in Management Consulting, but after doing some work experience, it was clear how Technology is becoming increasingly important for tasks such as performance improvement.

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

Couldn't agree more

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

The uncertainty and learning opportunities were strong factors too!

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

Technology is integral to every aspect of the business these days - it's pervasive. Have you applied? Do you know what service line you are interested in ?

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

I applied through this organisation called Bright Network in late August, and am yet to hear an update on my application. Fingers crossed I hear soon!

May I ask which service line you currently work in?

Liam S.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Liam S.

Hi sorry to piggy back on this, I'm currently studying Physics at Manchester and have learned basic python and C++ and am pursuing a masters project based in C++ simulations, is experience like this sufficient to demonstrate an interest?

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

Good luck Amir, hopefully you hear back soon.

I am in Systems Integration !

Hi Liam, I am sure it will definitely help your application. It sounds like you have strong technical competence. Remember that recruiters will consider other competencies too. So make you sure your application is holistic and well-rounded.

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

Thanks Lewis. Systems Integration sounds really exciting! Do you work in a particular capability group?

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

Solutions Development and Integration

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

Which other competencies would you say recruiters are looking for?

Liam S.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Liam S.

Thanks for the advice! I suppose communication and analytical skills are also important?

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

I'm currently really drawn to FS/Enterprise Apps.

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

The exact competency will be online. My personal opinion is that if you are someone who continuously looks to deliver high quality results, exceed expectations, build relationships, be proactive, show initiative, seeks learning and development opportunities, think differently, be collaboration, show integrity, then you will be well placed.

Yes analytical and communication skills are really important.

Amir, I currently work with some practitioners from FS apps, it is very interesting. If you join you will find you work with a diverse range of practitioners on projects.

Amir A.
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Amir A.

It sounds really appealing, given my interest in Finance too. Finally, may I ask why you chose Deloitte?

3 weeks, 3 days ago
Analyst, Deloitte

Best of big four for consulting - we are larger, more diverse opportunities, biggest clients. Theres only one option when it comes to the big 4, believe me!

Right I must go now, have a good one, and good luck !

Add to this thread

Deloitte UK

We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. Yet – as is our way – we’re always striving to be even better. We’re working hard to develop and refine the experience of working here. At the centre of that lies what we believe is a distinctive culture and way of working.

Visit website