“ Lauren, did you find it a big leap from studying politics to joining the cyber team? ”

Jessica B. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte Cyber Live Chat
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

08/12/2017
15 Live chat
I'm an Economics and International Relations student, I'm keen to find out what drew you to cyber initially? Thanks!
08/12/2017
Manager, Cyber, Deloitte

Hi Jessica. I also did International Relations for an MA

08/12/2017
Jessica B.

Hi Jake!

08/12/2017
Manager, Cyber, Deloitte

We did a module about Cyber security, which focused on the geo-political side of it e.g. why Russia and their cyber capability, and things like cyber as a method of warfare like Stuxnet.

I really enjoyed it, so started looking at jobs in Cyber. Initially I thought you needed to be technical, but Deloitte offered opportunities for both technical and non-technical so I put in an application.

08/12/2017
Jessica B.

How much technical knowledge is required both pre-application and once you're working? I imagine you learn a lot on the job.

Also, thanks for the reply, unfortunately I haven't come across a module like that at Exeter!

08/12/2017
Manager, Cyber, Deloitte

I'd say no technical knowledge is needed for application. Once you start working, you can get involved in loads of different projects, some of which may touch on things that are technical. For those, you'll get training provided.

And yes, we mostly learn on the job. Often get thrown into projects and have to be adaptable and learn whilst we go!

08/12/2017
Jessica B.

Amazing. And have you ever wished to move departments or enter a different technical field? If you felt that you wanted to, would that be a possibility?

08/12/2017
Manager, Cyber, Deloitte

Yep - there are opportunities to move to other Departments in Deloitte, although we would discourage applying for one department if you really want to work in another. But a number of colleagues once they join do move around. In terms of moving around within Cyber, there is, again, loads of opportunities, especially at a junior grade, to move around.

08/12/2017
Jessica B.

Super, I have applied to Tech consulting and am confident that's where I'd like to begin my career but am conscious that cyber is a huge growth area.

Within tech, which do you think is the fastest paced / biggest growth area in Deloitte? I understand that other firms are focusing a lot of efforts on AI and I was wondering if that's something Deloitte are doing too?

08/12/2017
Manager, Cyber, Deloitte

So within Cyber, we're looking to build out all our technical capabilities, for example, threat hunting, our intelligence centre in Reading is being enhanced to respond to advanced to persistent threats, and we're also acquiring software to start doing advanced malware analysis.

We also have an analytics time in the CiC who are using AI from a security perspective.

Outside of Cyber - in terms of wider tech consulting, I don't have too much insight to be honest. But hope we're doing something interesting!

08/12/2017
Jessica B.

OK - thanks so much for your time Jake! This is really helpful platform.

08/12/2017
Manager, Cyber, Deloitte

No problem. Good luck with your application.

08/12/2017
Janis W.

Hello, thank you for the above response! It's been really helpful so far. Just to add onto this, how can you demonstrate an interest in cyber/technology if it's not something that can be studied within your degree?

08/12/2017

Hi Janis! The best thing to do is lots of research. The FT is a great news source, as well as researching large scale cyber attacks that have happened over the last few years. A great source of cyber security information is 'Paul's Security Weekly' which is a vlog on YouTube that details what's going on in the cyber world today. I had no cyber background at all, but my research demonstrated my genuine interest in the topic which helped greatly.

08/12/2017
Janis W.

That's great Lauren, thanks!

08/12/2017

No problem - good luck!

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website