“ How do you find the work/studying/life balance at Deloitte? ”

Tim R. asked a question in topic Life at the Company
to Holly N. Assistant Manager - Tax, Deloitte UK

24/10/2013
Hi Holly,

I've been reading your profile on here and noticed that as well as working you're also studying for the ACA qualification. I just wondered how you find the work/study/life balance at Deloitte? Does the studying tie in well with the work?

Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share!
24/10/2013
Assistant Manager - Tax, Deloitte UK

Hi Tim,

We have time out of work to go to college to study, firstly for the learning phase (usually 1 week per subject) and then later for the revision phase (directly before each exam). During time in college it is much easier to balance study/life, however in the periods back in work it is a little more difficult to juggle them all, and truth be told, social commitments usually take a back seat, with studying after work and on weekends for mock course exams and then the final exams taking up the majority of my free time. Having said that, it's made up for with plenty of partying after exams!

Hope this helps - let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Holly

24/10/2013
Tim R.

Thanks Holly, that's great. How many exams are there in total? Is the work that you can do at the office limited until you have passed the exams or do you find there is enough variation? I'm very curious!

Thanks again.

29/10/2013
Assistant Manager - Tax, Deloitte UK

Hi Tim

There are 15 exams in total for the ACA qualification. This consists of 6 knowledge stage modules which take the form of a computer based exam (multi-choice) which give you the foundation knowledge for the next exams - the application stage exams which require the knowledge previously gained to be applied in various scenarios.

During my first year, I sat 8 exams and started studying from the word go, so really the work I can do in the office is not limited at all, as often I will have seen concepts in college before being given the opportunity to apply the knowledge in the work I do in the office. And within the work I have done to date, there has been lots of variation!

Just ask if there is anything else!

Holly

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website