“ I only just discovered what Audit is, what is it actually like working within Audit? ”

Kajal K. asked a question
during the live chat Early application community - online chat
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

04/06/2015
24 Live chat
Is it to do with businesses and big brands or the government? :)
04/06/2015
Audit - Senior Associate, Deloitte

Hi Kajal - I work within the audit department in the Nottingham office.

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

Hi Hannah, whats your job like? and did you always have in mind you wanted to go into audit

04/06/2015

Audit is a great service line. Outside of London, the types of audits you can work on vary from small businesses to large multinational corporations. The variety is one of the best things about audit and definitely makes it attractive as a place to kick start a career.

Day to day - I work within a team on a particular audit client performing testing in conjunction with my team working towards providing our audit opinion to the client. The team I work in and the clients I work in vary from week to week, as does the work I perform, so it is very variable.

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

So is it a fun job. Because, I really didn't want to go into investment banking. Consulting and audit particularly appeal to me

04/06/2015

I actually did a degree in Neuroscience, however I chose audit as I wanted the broadest exposure to the business world that was possible in a grad scheme to set me up for any career I want afterwards

The people you work with at Deloitte really make the job. Everybody is the same age and its a really supportive and fun environment.

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

Oh wow! So is it difficult securing a job within Deloitte?

04/06/2015

Mostly, you are working with colleagues who quickly become friends, so it is a nice environment to be in.

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

That sounds good :) Do you have any advice for me, if I decide to apply for audit? Thank you for all your help Hannah :)

04/06/2015

My advice would be really be yourself during the interview process. Audit is full of a variety of people from lots of different backgrounds so don't think that we are looing for one specific type of person. We are looking for motivated team players with the right qualifications and the right attitude for the job.

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

Thank you so much Hannah :)
Sometimes, I fear the news aspect of the interview. Do we need to be really on top of the FT?

04/06/2015

I wouldn't say you need to know everything at all. Having knowledge of a few current articles is helpful, but we are more looking for your opinion and not whether you know all of the facts that have been stated in the FT. I found accountancy age to be really useful, and just read a few articles in the day leading up to the interview. Remember Deloitte aren't looking to hire experts and the finished product, but more the right person with the right attitude.

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

Thank you for all your help, Hannah, I really do appreciate it

04/06/2015

No problem Kajal. Do you plan to apply?

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

Yes, for Audit. But I don't know the full procedure

04/06/2015
Louise A.

I'm really glad you asked these questions, Kajal, I don't do a finance related degree so I've had the same worries as you. It feels better to know that there are others in the same position and also that Deloitte isn't looking for people who already know everything there is to know, so thank you Hannah, as well. :)

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

Thank you Louise :) It's just because some firms, expect you to be tip top with news and the FT. And I'm not that amazing

04/06/2015

To be honest, I was surprised when I joined also at the variety of degrees people had in my office - History with Russian, Chemistry, Neuroscience, Genetics, Geography.

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

Glad to know others feel the same :)

That's so varied! Would you happen to know the procedure, for the summer internship 2016?

04/06/2015
Early Identification Manager, Deloitte UK

To apply to the Summer Vacation Scheme (SVS) you will need to answer your career motivation answers to complete your application.

You will then sit our numerical test and critical thinking test online.

You pass these you will then have an interview focused on your behaviours along side a case study and this is the final stage of the selection process. For the SVS we have the same academic criteria etc. as the graduate scheme

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

Oh okay, so all this will happen this summer? I.e. before September?

04/06/2015

We open this summer, and fill on a rolling basis. Normally we fill the very popular roles by the end of Summer

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

So you fill places for the 2016 internship, this summer

04/06/2015

We open on 1st July and fill on a rolling basis until we have filled (so 1st come first serve) not all roles will be filled by summer but the popular roles are likely to

04/06/2015
Kajal K.

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website