“ How does a typical graduate in Risk Advisory progress through the company over a 5-10 year period? ”

Nathan S. asked a question
during the live chat Risk Advisory Live Chat
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

17/06/2015
12 Live chat
17/06/2015
Risk Consultant, Deloitte UK

Hi Nathan,

Basically in year 1–2 you are a Consultant doing primarily field work and learning the ropes.

Year 3–4, you are a Senior Consultant. Here you work to become a Subject Matter Expert in your chosen area.

In the following years (5–7) you become a manager, helping to run multiple projects and seeing that work is completed to a high standard. After this you could become a Senior Manager/ Director where you main focus is both managing projects and winning the work that we do.

(Then the last grade is Partner!)

17/06/2015

Hi Nathan. Progression through the company is encouraged and kind of expected.

17/06/2015
Nathan S.

Hi William and Andrew, thanks for your answers. Out of interest what attracted you to Deloitte and not one of the other big 4 risk advisory departments? Did either of you complete a summer internship at Deloitte?

17/06/2015

I didn't do a summer internship. And I was most attracted to my team, which is pretty the largest and pretty unique to Deloitte. I work in the Resilience team doing crisis management, simulations and geopolitical risk.

17/06/2015

A couple of my friends worked here so I was given an honest briefing by them. which has turned out to be true. Deloitte invests a lot of time and money in your training, throughout your career. The majority of staff are of a similar age. 40 graduates joined Risk Advisory at the same time as me last September, so I have a lot of friends here at work. Also Deloitte emphasis 'agile working' so I can work at home / in any of our buildings if I would like.

17/06/2015
Nathan S.

Thanks Andrew! If you had to describe what you do on a day to day basis what would you say?

I'm really interested in the crisis management could you give me an example of a project that you worked on in this area and maybe some highlights and challenges that you faced?

17/06/2015

Hi Nathan. I worked with a British television network when I first joined. This involved reviewing their various crisis management plans (most companies have various written documents which the board and senior management look after). To see what we thought was missing. Then interviewing the board and managers to work out if they really do stick to their plans. After this comes a standard follow up report highlighting any gaps. This was followed by a 'crisis simulation' where we gathered a number of their teams and employees to pretend there was an actual crisis and see how they reacted.

So this would incorporate much of what I do on a day to day basis. Reviewing client documents, talking to managers at the client, looking for gaps in their plans, brainstorming potential risks that have been missed out. Helping to run a crisis simulations with the client.

17/06/2015

Can't say client names - but I worked with several hedge funds helping to create/review plans and processes for what would happen in the event all their systems went down for a number of days/weeks. (For example how to bring about crisis management teams, manage PR etc.)

17/06/2015
Nathan S.

Sounds exciting, thank you both for the detailed information.

1) Where do you see the service line going in the next few years - is it expanding or doing particularly well with clients in certain industries?

2) Have you had any opportunities to travel abroad?

17/06/2015

Its one of the fastest expanding areas I'd say. We tend to do well when new regulation is published as this means clients have to review their business and processes. Which has been happening a lot since the financial crisis. Because of this we seem to be doing particularly well in Financial Services. However are also successful across the board.

In terms of travel, I have only been to Nottingham so far, but should be going to Switzerland in October. My colleagues have been to New York, Singapore, Dubai and Paris

17/06/2015
Consultant, Deloitte UK

Hi Nathan. In terms of travel, I've been to Holland; my two graduate colleagues were also on the trip. One of them is currently in Zurich and, in January, one of them visited Siberia! I've also been to Leicester and Nottingham - so there's a range of destinations you could be sent to!

17/06/2015
Nathan S.

Thank you both for your answers. I am keen to join a growing department as that usually means a variety of challenging projects which I can have an impact on early on in my career. I am also interested in getting some international project experience and it sounds like Deloitte really support this.

Add to this thread

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website