“ How important are numerical skills for a role in Tax Consulting? ”

Stephanie G. asked a question
during the live chat Tax Consulting Live Chat
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

23/06/2015
5 Live chat
I study History at LSE and was just wondering!
23/06/2015
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte UK

Hi Stephanie, thanks for your question! whilst we ask for our staff to have a certain analytical ability this isn't the only aspect we would focus on. We would focus very much on communication/interpersonal skills in order to advise our clients

23/06/2015
Tax Depreciation Senior Associate, Deloitte LLP

Hi Stephanie - I work in the tax depreciation team within tax consulting and I would say that numerical skills are not that vital for my job.

23/06/2015
Senior Manager - Indirect Taxes Group, Deloitte UK

Hi Stephanie. In Indirect Tax (VAT, customs duties, excise taxes, environmental taxes etc), whilst we work with numbers on a daily basis, we're tend to stick to GCSE level maths - usually it's a case of building simple spreadsheets, and quick sums and percentages to support a client solution. So numbers are important but common sense, understanding clients, and communications are actually as important.

One of the most successful graduates that I joined with a few years ago (now a senior manager) did a history degree. It didn't seem to affect his career at all - he was promoted more rapidly than many others!

23/06/2015
Tax Depreciation Senior Associate, Deloitte LLP

Whilst I work on Excel regularly when I am in the office, I also spend quite a lot of my date speaking to clients and writing reports. Also quite a lot of tax consulting work involves analytical skills rather than numerical skills as such.

I'll also echo what Stephen said - one of my best friends from university joined the tax consulting with me a couple of years ago; she did an English degree at university and she is loving it in tax!

23/06/2015
Senior Associate - Tax Consulting - Mobility, Deloitte UK

Hi Stephanie. I work in Global Employer Services and my experience is very similar to everyone else here. Whilst handling numbers is definitely part of my job, we are definitely not talking about university level maths knowledge. Most degrees develop the analytics skills though non-numerical methods such as essay writing or lab reports - all can be useful for a career here. Building on that, it can actually be a great thing to have people from different degree backgrounds so that you can create a team of people who complement each others skill sets.

Add to this thread

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website