“ On the Summer Vacation Scheme - will we be shadowing the current members of the firm, or get involved with projects? ”

Man Yee K. asked a question
during the live chat Tax Consulting Live Chat
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

23/06/2015
13 Live chat
What exactly happens during the scheme? Training and getting to work with clients?
23/06/2015
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte UK

There will be a real mix depending on which department you work with but we aim for students to be involved in some projects and shadow client meetings to provide them with a real insight into the team.

We will always make sure that a summer student has a varied experience throughout the duration of their placement

23/06/2015
Senior Manager - Indirect Taxes Group, Deloitte UK

When we have SVS students in my team, our mission is to give them the "full Deloitte tax consulting grad experience" - that means going to client meetings, writing advice for clients, getting to grips with basic tax law, conducting research, working with a variety of team members - everything we expect our new graduates to be doing within their first year in the firm. We want our SVS students to have an enjoyable experience and to know what it really feels like to work in the business.

23/06/2015
Tax Depreciation Senior Associate, Deloitte LLP

In my department, we always try to get summer vacation scheme students involved with project work to give them an idea of what it is like to work in our department day-to-day. If possible, we also try to get them involved in client calls and meetings because, as Stephen highlighted above.

23/06/2015
Laura B.

Related to the question above, how much, if any, technical knowledge are we expected to have as summer vacation scheme students, and as graduates?

23/06/2015
Student Recruitment Advisor, Deloitte UK

We wouldn't ask that a student is an expert as the summer vacation scheme is deigned to provide students with an opportunity to learn more about the tax consulting business

In the selection process we would look for an understanding and a strong interest to learn more about the role

23/06/2015

As context, I had no idea what tax depreciation was before I joined! I had a look online before my interview to understand the very basics and was up to date with current tax issues in the news, such as the Google and Starbucks stories, but technical knowledge wise I knew very little.

The most important thing is that you are willing to learn and show enthusiasm to learn

23/06/2015

Laura - just to reiterate... the answer is basically zero... we don't find many students or interns that come along as tax consulting experts. So our focus is on finding people who, with the right support and training and mentoring, can become those tax consulting experts :-)

23/06/2015
Laura B.

That's such a relief to know. Now I can enjoy my summer without worrying about cramming :D

23/06/2015

I would not worry at all about trying to learn any tax technical knowledge. My only advice would be to keep up with the news so that you are up to date with any important tax issues (if any). Other than that, definitely enjoy your summer!!

23/06/2015

If you're stuck for something to do on 8 July, you can tune in to the Chancellor's second budget of 2015, at around 12.30pm on BBC1 or BBC News Channel. He usually wraps up in under an hour. We won't be testing you on it though! :-)

23/06/2015
Laura B.

Cheers! I hope you all enjoy your summers too!
PS. Anyone coming to Borneo for charity - hope you're prepared for the heat and humidity!

23/06/2015
Senior Associate - Tax Consulting - Mobility, Deloitte UK

We shall send out a warning to them!

23/06/2015

Glad I'm going to Ecuador now... supposed to be -10C at the top of the volcano! Hmm... on second thoughts.

Add to this thread

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website