“ What is the background required to work in tax consulting? (Not entry level position) ”

Adriana C. asked a question
during the live chat Explore Summer schemes in Tax Consulting!
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

23/04/2019
6 Live chat
Could someone from sales and marketing opt do a career change?
23/04/2019
Tax Analyst, Deloitte LLP

Hi Adriana, there is no required background from what I'm aware of - I am in the minority within my team as I did an accounting degree and the majority of team did not (one of them even came from a medieval histories background at university). I'd say one of the biggest factors considered from applicant's background is the soft-skills they have, e.g. being personable/creative/proactive, which would help in the role.

23/04/2019
Analyst, Deloitte UK

Hi Adriana! Deloitte really celebrates diversity of backgrounds. Joining as a grad, I saw people come from degrees in all sorts of different subjects. With regards to joining not in an entry level, all the work we do is tax technical, therefore an in-depth knowledge of tax is required for more senior positions from what I understand. However, there are certainly transferrable skills from other career paths, for example we see a lot of lawyers joining the GES practice.

23/04/2019
Adriana C.

Thank you very much! And what is now the more demanding field? Business taxes or global employer services? (I know the latter is getting more complex every day)

23/04/2019
Tax Analyst, Deloitte

Hi Adriana. It's hard to say, both areas have their own complexities. From working in GES I can say it is constantly evolving. We have internal training sessions which really helps us keep up-to-date with all the new information and changes.

23/04/2019
Tax Analyst, Deloitte LLP

If you look at the growth between the sectors, then Indirect tax is the faster growing sector (promise I'm not shilling out here as its my department). And this is due to the rapidly developing regulatory environment.

23/04/2019
Business Tax Consultant, Deloitte

Hi Adriana. I think that depends on who you speak to! From working in business tax, all I can say is that tax law is constantly changing both in the UK and globally and so we are kept busy on new and exciting projects all the time!

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website