“ Hi, what is the best way to prepare for Deloitte's last stage face-to-face interview within tax? ”

Krishna K. asked a question
during the live chat Explore Summer schemes in Tax Consulting!
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

23/04/2019
16 Live chat
Recently completed the spring week and really enjoyed it! The work sounded very interesting and the culture seemed a lot better then other places such as IB. With regards to the question, would you recommend me having any specific technical knowledge with regards to business tax, best ways to keep commercially aware...?
23/04/2019
Business Tax Consultant, Deloitte

Hi Krishna. Can I assume from this that you are applying for a position in Business tax? Would this be for our summer vacation scheme?

23/04/2019
Krishna K.

Hi, yes! Applying for the SVC with business tax

23/04/2019

Ah I can be of help! I completed the SVS scheme a few years ago.

I wouldn't expect that you will need any specific technical knowledge as if you were to join on the SVS scheme (and later possibly as a graduate) all the training and qualifications will be on the job. However, it definitely helps to have commercial awareness of business tax more generally, i.e. if you can keep up to date with some of the larger tax law changes, or what larger corporations are doing (in the media etc), that can only be of help!

I think just keeping read up on different areas will be key. Whoever is interviewing you will also just be keen to get to know you as a person so just be yourself!

23/04/2019
Krishna K.

That is amazing, thank you!
What sort of things do you do on a typical day within tax consulting? What would you say is the best about business tax and then something not so great?

23/04/2019
Dinara S.

Hannah, will Deloitte consider mature LLM students (30+) for summer internship or any programs in tax consultancy?

23/04/2019

So the summer vacation scheme is for students who are in their penultimate year of university (whether this be for an undergraduate degree, or whether the student is in their final year and going on to do a masters).

No one day is the same in tax consulting! I have a wide range of clients (a mixture of privately owned clients and international clients). I mainly work in advisory (rather than compliance) -and this will involve advising clients on different tax issues and considerations! There is the opportunity for a lot of face time with clients, and I tend to speak to mine on a daily basis! I've also been really lucky to get the opportunity to travel internationally to see one of my clients! Typical day to day work will include different reports, memos, getting stuck into the tax legislation and generally managing the client relationship!

I wouldn't say there is anything in particular that isn't so good about business tax - it really depends on what kind of work you enjoy doing. I guess the only thing might be if there is a pressing deadline and a demanding client, but there's not much I can think of.

23/04/2019
Hermann L.

Do you work with international clients a lot ? Have you ever had the opportunity to relocate to another country?

23/04/2019

Yes the majority of my clients are international I would say. I haven't taken up the opportunity to relocate to another country, but there are lots of opportunities to go on secondments abroad. Quite a few people from the Reading office have been seconded to New York for example. A friend of mine in GES actually relocated semi-permanently to Switzerland.

23/04/2019
Hermann L.

Does that mean you get to video conference a lot with your international clients ? Is helping foreign languages a plus in these kind of situations or is everything in English ?

23/04/2019
Krishna K.

Ahh okay, thank you Hannah. Since I am planning to apply to business tax advisory, I was wondering if you could give any specific examples of different tax issues and considerations just to understand the role more?

23/04/2019

Yes we often have calls or conferences with our international colleagues - for me I would say at least a few times a week. Calls do tend to be in English from our perspective, but it can definitely be helpful and very beneficial to speak other languages!

23/04/2019
Hermann L.

Great, thank you for the information !

23/04/2019

I think one of the main things the media focuses on at the moment is whether corporations are paying the 'right' amount of tax, and how transparent businesses are being around this - this is then supported by more complex tax law.

23/04/2019
Krishna K.

Thank you.

23/04/2019
Hermann L.

Does that mean you advise companies on the impact in terms of public image of the way their go about paying their taxes ? Also, do you tend to focus on being an expert on one type of client and then always work with this kind of client or do you have variety ? Are you responsible for finding new clients, or do you have dedicated salesmen to present the company’s services to prospects ?

23/04/2019
Analyst, Deloitte UK

Hi Hermann, this varies from team to team. In GES we do not divide clients by the type of business they operate. However, it is noticeable that due to geographical reasons the Reading office does attract a lot of tech clients.

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website