“ What do you most and least enjoy working in tax? ”

Rahima R. asked a question
during the live chat Tax Consulting
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

08/10/2015
10 Live chat
08/10/2015
Assistant Manager, Deloitte UK

Personally, I like the constant change, the need to be alert to new consultation papers, any new guidance from HMRC. It forces you to keep up to date, to read on and as you progress you start to enjoy knowing things. The least enjoyable..hm probably having to deal with the Revenue! They can be veeeery slow!

08/10/2015
Assistant Manager - Tax Private Client Services, Deloitte UK

Have to agree! HMRC can never get out of first gear !

I firmly believe tax is by far the most interesting area at Deloitte. There are constant changes in the UK tax system which require you to adapt and liaise with your clients. I work in the Private Clients Team and these changes can have significant impacts on their lives and their future. Its very interesting learning about their affairs and providing advice on how their affairs may need to be adapted following a change in the tax legislation.

08/10/2015
Alastair Y.

Can you give an example of a recent change you have worked on with a client and how you feel your input has added value/impact to the client?

08/10/2015

Following the changes in the tax treatment of carried interest and disguised management fees, we have advised a number of our Private Equity clients, on the implications of these changes. We have helped these clients to identify potential restructuring opportunities and provide clarity surrounding the additional compliance responsibilities following these changes.

08/10/2015
Consultant, Deloitte UK

Hi Alastair, recently I was implementing one of the largest mining corporations in the world onto one of our tax technology solutions. This tool interacts with many tools within Deloitte and also 3rd parties who use our results down stream of the tax calculations. Whilst reviewing the proposed implementation I was able to identify and solve many deficiencies through my in depth knowledge of the client and the technology with the proposed solution both from the client and 3rd party, often having to advise both parties on how to creat an efficient process that would be reliable going forward.

08/10/2015
Rahima R.

Thank you very much Chloe and Matt.

08/10/2015
Alastair Y.

Thanks, George & Matt -- both sound like interesting and meaningful work! For these projects, what were the average team sizes and structure (e.g. 1 partner, 1 manager, 3 analysts) and how much collaboration did you have with other departments/service lines, if any?

08/10/2015
Rahima R.

Thanks George, very helpful insight!

08/10/2015
Consultant, Deloitte UK

1 Partner, 1 Associate Director, 2 Consultants from a tax perspective, then I work closely with a Technology developer and associate director who co-ordinate with our technology teams across the world.

I work closely alongside not only our mobility colleagues on our floor of the office, but also global teams such as Belgium and Switzerland who I am currently preparing proposals alongside.

08/10/2015

Working in the private clients department, the average team can vary. I have been on engagements where this is just 1 analyst, 1 associate and 1 partner....and others where is has been 1 analyst, and 1 partner.

I have liaised with colleagues all over the world, from USA to Malta.

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website