“ What's the difference between technology consulting at Deloitte and firms like McKinsey and BCG? ”

Dan J. asked a question
during the live chat Deloitte Women in Technology
to Deloitte UK Recruitment Team

28/10/2015
36 Live chat
28/10/2015
National Attraction Manager Student Recruitment, Deloitte UK

Hi Dan

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Hi Lucy

28/10/2015

Ruqaiyyah will reply to you shortly as she does the job better to advise!

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Many thanks! By the way Lucy, I have some tech consulting experience at another big four, will that be helpful?

28/10/2015
Consulting Analyst, Deloitte UK

Hi Dan

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Hi Ruqaiyyah!

28/10/2015

Sorry for the delay, I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability,

From the perspective of careers at Deloitte, in the technology sector we have a vast majority of department that range from Digital, Cyber, Technology Strategy & Architecture to Operations and Delivery.

Joining the Technology sector in our firm will enable you with the opportunity to get involved on projects in any of these areas. We also develop solutions and can deliver them to our clients.

The main differentiation would be the capability that Deloitte has to deliver a technology based solution to one of our clients.

28/10/2015
Manager, Deloitte UK

Yes, you're right Ruqaiyyah it's really the breadth we're able to bring as we can go right from strategy through to design and delivery where McKinsey is more likely to just focus on the strategy side

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Thanks for your reply! So as an analyst, will graduates have opportunities to rotate from projects to projects?

28/10/2015

From my own personal experience, I have been able to move out of a technical role onto an advisory and more strategy based piece of work.

I know of grads that have moved out of technical roles into delivery roles and the other way around

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Can I say that people can learn a wider range of expertise in Deloitte rather in McKinsey, let's say?

Hi Elisabeth, thanks for your reply! Can I ask what's the work-life balance like at Deloitte?

28/10/2015
Manager, Deloitte UK

It does depend on a project by project basis. Sometimes projects can be really busy with an upcoming deadline in which case it can be necessary to put some extra time in. Generally speaking there is always potential to take on more work as we have lots of exciting internal projects as well as client work, it's just important to set boundaries and to be comfortable in stating that you are at capacity

28/10/2015

We are also supportive of agile working - for example I work at home one day and week and work 4 days after having had a wee one

28/10/2015
Manager, Deloitte UK

we also try where possible to come back to our Deloitte offices on a Friday to give people a chance to meet back with their teams and to take part in things outside their client work

28/10/2015
Elianne H.

What about in reality, are the current staff good at setting boundaries or does every one try to over achieve and put in the long hours?

28/10/2015

On all of my projects the managers have been incredible flexible and allow me to take time off for training, holidays and to work from home

I have had about 3 occasions in my current project where I have been required to work late and I have always made it home by 20:30

28/10/2015

I can say as one of the Managers in my team I work hard to ensure everyone is ok with workload and lets me know when things are getting too much - It is a busy environment but people understand the need to rest and take time out

28/10/2015

I would say that boundaries in my experience are set really well, and all tasks that are set out tend to be highly achievable within the normal working hours

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Sounds that's a quite flexible working environment! Somebody told me that Deloitte is a result-driven company that people will compete fiercely against each other. And other firms like PwC are not. Is that true?

28/10/2015

Having worked here for 5 years I would disagree

28/10/2015
Manager, Deloitte UK

In my experience it's a very supportive and collaborative environment. People ask each other for example documents etc. and it's easy to get hold of.

28/10/2015

it is a team effort and i love the people I work with. It is high performance and we all strive to do the best we can - but as a team

28/10/2015
Manager, Deloitte UK

I would say that almost without exception people here are very motivated ad driven to succeed but in order to succeed it's always very clear that it's not just about you, it's about you and the team you're with

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Get it. But does that because Deloitte set any targets for employees that if they don't reach, they will gain less bonus or even be fired?

28/10/2015

We are all performance managed as like in many companies and that determine if you get a bonus or not... We all set ourselves objectives to work to and are usually things which we want o focus our development on

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Thanks Lucy. So will you discuss your objectives with your performance manager and review them regularly?

28/10/2015

yes that is spot on - its a 2 way conversation around you and your development and career

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Thanks Lucy! Can I have a question for you? Is it really hard to get a graduate job at Deloitte? I am paticularly afraid of Assessment centres

28/10/2015

Hi Dan, it's competitive but we have 1200 jobs across the UK so plenty of opportunities - you just need to do your research and stay calm - the AC isn't that scary! we are all really nice - promise!

28/10/2015
Tamsyn A.

Relating to Dan's question, what is the assessment day like, I am not too phased about the interview section but what does the group session and single presentation usually involve?

28/10/2015

the group section is based on a cast study you will given and the presentation is with one of our partners

28/10/2015
Tamsyn A.

Is it quite a technical case study or more general since I suppose not everyone there is applying for the same sector?

28/10/2015

more general as yes not all going for tech ....

28/10/2015
Dan J.

Will there be any personal interviews in AC?

28/10/2015
Tamsyn A.

Thanks Lucy, that does help a lot. I could be wrong Dan but usually there is a section of the AC where you have individual interviews (I have been to one at a different company earlier this year).

28/10/2015
Dan J.

I agree Tamsyn. But just wanna confirm..

Deloitte UK

Deloitte is the world leader in consulting and auditing. With over 15,000 employees in the UK, it assists both big names in the industry and provides services to SMEs or small dynamic start-ups.

Deloitte intervenes on various issues, ranging from the reliability of financial information to the support of its customers on their strategic development. The objective: to ensure the smooth running and the durability of its customers, whatever their size and the sector in which they operate. Each area requires high expertise, strong multi-disciplinarity and the excellent ability to assemble a range of skills.

With a network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte combines world-class expertise with a high-quality service to help clients meet their most complex issues.

Our 264,000 professionals are driven by the same goal: to make Deloitte the benchmark for excellent service.

Expertise: Audit, Advisory and Risk Advisory, Financial Advisory, Chartered Accountant, Legal and Tax Advice.

Visit website